Friday, August 15, 2008

Our Despedida and Saying Good bye

Like the other interns and teams before us, we had a despedida, or send off, right before we left. We were surprised when we walked in to dinner and saw that they had arranged the tables in a square so that the five of us could sit at the head and see everyone. Astrid sang and Michele danced to my favorite Hilsong worship song. Some of the kids stood up and thanked us for different things that we had done with them and at the end, Kendon said something about each one of us, which was very touching. Lastly, we got to stand up and thank them. We wrote in advance something that included our favorite activities, some of our new favorite Spanish words, and some verses (Ephesians 2: 4-10 and Psalm 91:11-12). We were really hoping to communicate how much we enjoyed getting to know them and also our desire for them to grow in their faith and to know that God loves them. After, we handed out an award with a superlative and a note and verse we picked out for each one. Some of my favorites were “the best hug giver” to Juan David, “the sweetest” to Iris, “fearless leader” to Kevin, “the best listener” to Jenifer, and “the best colorer” to Randy.
My last day flew by for me. At 4:00 am, we left to take Jessica, Rachael, and Kelsey to the airport. Before going to the clinic that day I said goodbye to Mark (and learned that Jessica was back because her plane had been delayed for 24 hours because of the hurricane). After the clinic, I went with Wendy and Staci on my last food shopping trip. It was pouring so hard that it flooded and, on the way home, we had to drive under this bridge where the road was covered in water. We made it through ok.
By the time we got everything unloaded it was almost dinner and I spent the rest of the time trying to say goodbye. After dinner (my last beans, rice, and tortillas for awhile), we made meat pie with some of the older guys and hang out for awhile.
The next morning, I got to say one last goodbye at breakfast and then, two of the older guys, Jon and Oswaldo, rode with me to the airport, reminding me again that in so many ways these kids are such good friends to me. It took me about 17 hours to get home, but everything went really smoothly. I had a lot of time to think about the last three months. God’s provision was evident throughout and He answered prayers time and again. Along with this, I am sure of something else. These kids are so dear to me and I know that I will remember with joy my time with them.

No comments: