Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Missions Conference

Saturday through Tuesday, all the gringos went up in the mountains to a missions conference in a hotel on Lake Atitlan. This was an awesome time of rest and sharing. Missionaries came from all over Guatemala, along with a few people from the home office in the US. Us interns went to watch the missionaries' kids while they were in their meetings, but we were able to participate in worship. I was especially grateful for this as when I am here, I really miss worshipping in English. Unfortunately, it rained the whole time because of tropical depression Alma, so we weren't able to take the kids outside or use kayaks or things like that. Luckily, we will be returning in July for our intern retreat. A few of us got pretty sick the last night that we were there (it was one of the most miserable nights of my life). Yesterday, I went to the doctor and she said that I have intestinal and throat infections, along with gastritis. I'm still feeling pretty sick and I haven't been able to eat in a couple of days, so if you could pray for me and the others who are sick that would be great. The good news is that when I turn my head I don't throw up anymore.


Tomorrow, two other interns are arriving and then four of us will be heading off to Antigua to attend language school for 2 weeks. Please pray for safe travels for the interns, safety in Antigua, patience and increased mental capacity while trying to improve our Spanish, and for me as it is going to be hard to leave the kids for that long.













After I gave Michelle a bath, I gave her a mohawk.



































The three one year-olds we took care of (look how small Michelle is!!).

































Lake Atitlan from our balcony.





























A clearer Lake Atitlan last year at our retreat.


















Words of the day:

Jugar (who- gahr) and tocar (toe- car) both mean to play. You use the first when you mean to play sports or games, and the second when you mean to play instruments. You also use tocar when you want to use the verb to touch and to knock.



Partido (par- tea- doe) and juego (who- weigh- go) both mean game. The first is a sports game (for example un partido de futbol) and the second is a board or card game or something like tag.

1 comment:

cb said...

Got your voicemail today. Have been praying for you as you battle with your health. "But now, this is what the Lord says- he who created you, O Jacob, he who formed you, O Israel: 'Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze.'"